5 October 2010

Bici and me

In high school, cold weather wasn’t that bad.  Cold weather meant snow which meant snow days which meant no school.  Cold weather was something that I, personally, only experienced in the freezing 30-second walk across the parking lot--from the heat and comfort of Black Beauty, the Jeep, to the heat (not guaranteed) and comfort (questionable) of good, old Danvers High.
For the past two years, I have found the winters at Holy Cross to be a bit less tolerable.  I cannot stand it when the lovely, granite, library steps are encased beneath chunky, wooden plates from October until April.  The walk from my dorm room in Mulledy to the classrooms in Stein--probably an 8-minute walk, mind you--pains me to think about, even now.
Ice-covered trees and slippery hills Brrrrrr...
Yes, I am a complainer.  However, I will be the first one to admit to you that I am not meant to live in Massachusetts.  I never have been.  It is a widely known fact that my fingers and toes turn bluish-white when the temperature drops below sixty-five.
About here you should assume that I’m going to jump into a nice song-and-dance-routine about Tuscany’s perfect climate--and how nice it will be not risking my life through slush and ice en route to class this year.  If that's what you are assuming, you are wrong...that's not where I’m going with this.  
Instead, I’d like to take a brief interlude to describe to you my gorgeous walk to school this year.  Here in Florence, I live in the Oltrarno district.  Oltrarno literally means "the other side of the river." (“Altro” translates to “other” and the “Arno” is the river.) Thus, as I walk to school, I see the river on my right and typical, Italian buildings on my left.  Since arriving, I have been going to school each day on foot.  At this time of year, the weather is still mostly sunny and the temperatures are in the seventies--making my thirty-minute jaunt to class delightful, to say the least.
My daily walk to school.  No, really.

Unfortunately, as picturesque as my walk may be, it certainly exceeds the walk from one side of Holy Cross’ tiny, hilled campus, to the other  Thus, herein lies my dilemma:  What happens when Italy’s weather takes a turn for the worse?  
No matter the number of wooly sweaters, pashmina scarves, and weatherproof jackets that I don, there is simply no way that I will survive the outside walk from point A to point B during the dreaded winter months. No way.
Transportation options in Florence:
A) Foot
B) Car
C) Moped scooter
D) Bus
E) Bicycle
As long as option (A) remains a thirty minute walk, it is simply not an option for this wimpy, study abroad student during the frigid, Florentine winter.  
Honestly, Girlfriend? You're 5-years-old.
Though I’m pretty sure my mom promised me a bubble-gum pink Smart Car, I’m still waiting on it.  As for the Moped, I’m seriously envious of all of the fourteen-year-olds bopping around town on them. (Yes, the driving age for mopeds is actually fourteen.)  They tote their helmets around under their arms in order to exude their super-coolness even when separated from their scooters.  It’s just not giusto/fair.  Draw a big, red “X” through transportation options (B) and (C).

 A lot of Florentines utilize the public bus system as their main means of transportation.  I’ve tried the bus and when I’m lazy I still take it despite the fact that it disappoints me each time...without fail. How do people use the bus-system daily? I honestly could not tell you.  Cross option (D) of my list, baby.  Meanwhile, allow me to throw a little shout-out to the MBTA:



Dearest Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority,

After a solid, four months together this summer, we’ve been through some rocky times.  In fact, there were many late nights and early mornings when I cursed your existence.  For example, that time you decided not to run because it was raining, that time you decided not to run because it was too hot, that time you decided not to run because you just didn’t feeling like running, etc.
Obviously you are far from perfect. However, I’d like to praise the few things you have working in your favor:
  1. You allow people to enter and exit in whichever door they so choose
  2. You have somewhat of a schedule that you tend to loosely follow
  3. Your passengers are Bostonians that generally wear deodorant
Keep up the...um...good (?) work.
xoxo
Jenna
Clearly, (E) Bicycle, the only remaining answer, must be the correct one.
After two solid weeks spent lusting over the idea of a bicycle, I finally broke down and hit up the second-hand store across the street from me.  As a result, I am now the proud owner of a lovely, old-fashioned, white bike equipped with basket and bell.
The only thing missing now is Pearl in my bike basket!

The idea of riding a bike to school may sound molto elementary school to an American, but here my bici makes me (at least look like) more of a Florentine.  Not only do the majority of people ride recreationally, but they also ride their bikes to work.  Parents actually drop their children off at school on bike--I’m fairly certain that Italian toddlers frequent bicycle seats more often than car seats.
Sure, I have had a few minor incidents--initially forgetting how to ride, nearly running over mindless tourists, popping a tire on cobblestoned piazze.  And yes, Italian bike-riding has proven a lot more dangerous than I imagined.  (Bicyclists are literally left to fend for themselves on the streets alongside frightening Italian motorists.)  But altogether, I am quite pleased with my purchase.  My bici decreases my commute to school significantly, making my time outside drastically shorter. 
Now, as the seasons change and the cool, fall air hits Florence, I will be ready.  Bring it on, winter, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment